Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Defining HIGH...

Recently I have been more aware of how I throw around my diabetic terminology.  More so with the word HIGH. 
A couple of weeks ago, I was going to breakfast with a couple of my girl friends and we were talking about our kids, and they are always so kind and concerned and always ask about E.  I went into how she was and then made the statement, that I hadnt slept alot because she has been HIGH all night.   They are all very aware of the diabetic Highs and Lows, but for just a quick second they got a strange look and I said HIGH BLOOD SUGAR.  We all laughed, they said they were aware of what I meant after 3/4 of a second but that the term HIGH did throw them back. 
This got me wondering how many times have I been out in public, with E and said you cant have that food right now you are to HIGH!!! Oh my goodness, the looks that we have probably recieved from strangers thinking that I am allowing and toleraring my 9 year old (now 10 year old) to activley take drugs.  I laugh and cringe at that thought.
We are all very vocal here about E's diabetes, we do not want her to be ashamed or embarressed of it.  She loves educating people about diabetes and has no problem letting people know that she is diabetic.  With that being said I guess, misunderstandings come with the territory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment